For all you party-goers planning to go out this New Year’s Eve, the Auto Club of Southern California is offering it’s free “Tipsy Tow” during the New Year’s holiday. The service will be available from 6pm on Thursday New Year’s Eve through 11:59pm Friday night, New Year’s Day.
According to the Auto Club’s website,
Motorists, bartenders, restaurant managers, party hosts or passengers of a drinking driver may call 1-800-400-4AAA (4222) for a free tow home up to seven miles. Callers simply tell the Auto Club operators, “I need a Tipsy Tow,” to receive the ride home for themselves and their vehicle.
The website didn’t specify members only. From the looks of it, this service is available to the public within the So Cal counties they serve. However, there are restrictions
The service excludes rides for passengers, is restricted to a one-way, one-time ride for the driver and the destination is limited to the driver’s residence. Reservations are not accepted. Drivers can expect to pay the rate charged by the tow truck contractor for rides farther than seven miles.
The Auto Club provides the Tipsy Tow service as part of its “You Drink. You Drive. You Lose.” campaign and also supports several other sober driver programs. The Auto Club advises that motorists can avoid DUI arrests or worse by keeping these safety tips in mind:
- At social events, designate non-drinking drivers who can get everyone home safely.
- Call a friend or family member for a ride home if you’ve been drinking.
- Keep a cab company telephone number in your wallet so you can call for a ride home.
- As party host, try to be aware of whether some guests are drinking too much. Offer non-alcoholic drinks and plenty of food. Provide a gift to guests who volunteer to be designated drivers.
- Take car keys away from friends and relatives who have had too much to drink.